Euler Hermes’ economists provide views and opinions on a variety of topics ranging from new global trade routes to emerging risks and opportunities. Our in-house experts analyze sectors, trends, regions and more to help companies grow their business confidently and strategically.
Through our worldwide economic research team, you can gain access to actionable economic intelligence, strategic forecasting, and market-specific risk analysis. Armed with this knowledge, you can confidently extend more credit to your customers and expand sales to new prospects.
EH Update: Current Economic Events
- A leading index of consumer confidence gained +2.4 in March, to a strong 101.3.
- The expectations component gained +6.1 but the current situation element of the index fell -3.0, suggesting weak current consumption. Indeed, real personal consumption expenditures (PCE) fell -0.07% m/m in February, despite a pickup of +0.4% in nominal personal income.
- Over the past three months, real PCE (a key driver of GDP) increased by only +2.7% q/q annualised (+4.4% in Q4 2014).
- Durable goods orders fell -1.4% in February, the third decline in four months, while orders for non-defence capital goods (excluding aircraft), a proxy for business investment sentiment, fell for the sixth consecutive month, to -7.6% annualised over the past three months.
- Corporate profits fell -1.4% q/q and -0.2% y/y in Q4 2014. Meanwhile, pending home sales, a leading indicator of existing home sales, increased by +3.1% m/m and +12% y/y in February.